- The Perse School
- Local Community
Breakdown showing bursary fee assistance for the 2019/20 academic year intake into Year 7, 9 and sixth form:
A total of 12 bursaries were awarded for September 2019 in the Upper school with the following breakdown between years:
Year 7: 3 (2 x 75% or higher and 1 x 5-25%)
Year 9: 3 (2 x 75% or higher and 1 x 5-25%)
Year 12: 6 (2 x 75% or higher and 4 x 50-74%)
In addition to the above, 5 current Prep bursary holders who are transferring to the Upper will continue to receive bursary support. (4 x 75% or higher and 1 x 50-74%).
The Perse is committed to broadening access by offering eligible parents/guardians means-tested financial support with school fees. The Perse Upper School offers a number of bursaries which are means-tested. No bursaries are available for entry into the Pre-Prep or Prep Schools.
During the 2018/19 academic year 86 pupils in at the Upper received bursary awards. Of these, 15 received bursaries between 25% - 49% of tuition fees, 23 received bursaries between 50% -74% of fees and 48 received bursaries of 75% of fees or higher.
Bursaries are available for new entrants to the Upper School coming in at different entrance points and are awarded at entry into Year 7, Year 9 and the sixth form. These awards vary from 5% to 100% of the tuition fees. In September 2019 The Perse has offered mean-tested bursaries to 14 Upper school entrants excluding 5 Prep transfer pupils.
The Perse has limited bursarial funds to provide emergency assistance to parents of Prep and Upper School pupils where there has been an unforeseen change in financial circumstances. Such awards are subject to availability and cannot be guaranteed. (For information on this for existing pupils please contact the Deputy Bursar.)
To apply for a bursary, parents must first complete the registration form and pay the registration fee before the deadline published on the School’s website. The box on the registration form applying for ‘means-tested assistance with school fees’ must be ticked. The Bursary will then send the parents a detailed means-test form relating to financial circumstances to be completed and returned before the entrance test date.
The School’s bursary assessments are undertaken by an independent company acting on its behalf. All bursaries are assessed on a means-tested basis and include a visit to the family home of applicants who have been offered a place at the School to help gain an understanding of the family situation and calculate the financial need of the family on an individual basis. Assessments take into account the family’s situation, including the financial circumstances of both parents and of any current partner of one or both parents, along with social security benefits and other financial details. These will include both capital and current income.
The School will advise parents in writing of the amount of financial support they will receive before they need to take a decision on any offer of a place.
All bursary applications are subject to annual means-testing and may be varied upwards or downwards depending on parental circumstances and financial information provided on review. A child can be awarded a bursary and scholarship at the same time.
· There are currently 162 pupils at the Upper receiving scholarships.
· The Perse offers scholarships to pupils who have shown particular academic aptitude or talent.
The value of all scholarships from 2019 is a one off payment of £450. There are two categories of scholarship; School Scholarships and Sixth Form Scholarships. School Scholarships apply to Years 7-11 and can only be awarded once. Sixth Form Scholarships would apply for lower sixth and upper sixth and can only be awarded once. This means a pupil who received a School Academic Scholarship in Y7 or Y9 could also be awarded a Sixth Form Academic Scholarship in Y12.
· We award a number (usually 5 at each of year 7 and year 9) of Perse School Academic Scholarships to pupils entering the school at year 7 and year 9 who demonstrate exceptional ability in their entrance tests and interview, and who we believe will contribute markedly to the life of the school. Music scholarships are also awarded in year 7&9 to external pupils following audition with the Director of Music and who have also been offered a place via the entrance tests. Current Prep and Year 8 pupils are eligible to apply for music scholarships in year 7 and 9 respectively. We usually award 4 at entry for each of year 7 and year 9. We then award further Perse School Academic Scholarships to a number of candidates following continuous assessment throughout year 7 and 9. We usually award 5 at the end of both year 7 and year 9.
· Sixth form academic scholarships are available to both current pupils and external applicants. Current year 11 pupils are continually assessed during years 10 and 11 and scholarships are awarded to the top performing students, usually approximately 15 pupils.
· Perse Sixth Form Scholarships are also open to existing Y11(who have not been awarded one by continuous assessment) and external applicants (who have reached a satisfactory standard in the entrance tests) and would be awarded as follows:
a) Perse Sixth Form Academic Scholarships via exemplary performance on the sixth form entrance tests (usually a maximum of 10 scholarships).
b) Perse Sixth Form Music Scholarships via music auditions (usually a maximum of 4 scholarships).
c) Perse Sixth Form Sports Scholarships via sporting assessments / interviews (usually a maximum of 4 scholarships).
d) Perse Sixth Form Art Scholarships via art portfolio / interview (usually a maximum of 2 scholarships).
e) Perse Sixth Form Drama Scholarship via drama audition (usually a maximum of 2 scholarships).
f) Dr Perse Scholarships for school service. Dr Perse Scholarships will be awarded to students who either at The Perse or in their current school have made a major contribution to the extracurricular (breadth and balance) and pastoral (valuing one another and the environment) life of the / their school (usually a maximum of 10 scholarships).
Closing date for (external) entries to year 12: 4th November 2019
Sixth form entrance tests: 16th November 2019
Closing date for entries to year 7 & 9: 1st December 2019
Year 7 & 9 entrance tests: 11th January 2020
For further information regarding pupils who have benefitted from bursaries please see our website:
For further information regarding our bursaries and scholarships please see our website: