The partnership between our two schools was launched in January 2014 and since then has seen pupils and staff from both schools working together in a wide and varied range of areas and activities.
Mark Rutherford School is a larger than average 11-18 co-educational state secondary school with Academy status. Situated on the northern edge of Bedford, the school serves the areas of Putnoe, Brickhill, Newnham, Goldington, Castle, De Parys and some outlying villages. Bedford School is an all boys’ independent boarding and day school located near the centre of Bedford. The school comprises a Prep School of 400 boys aged 7-13, and an Upper School of 700 boys aged 13-18.
The schools have worked together as a partnership across a wide variety and a large number of areas.
The partnership involves visits to each other’s schools by staff for joint Senior Management meetings, SEN, EAL and other Department meetings and lesson observations Below is a list of the areas in which the two schools have worked together in partnership. Other examples of partnership areas between Bedford School and Mark Rutherford School include:
· Joint schools Geography and Spanish debates
· Mark Rutherford School Business Partnership Breakfast Invitations to Bedford School pupils
· DofE liaison and shared staff training
· CCF partnership opportunities
· Pupils attend each school’s Careers Evenings
· Pupils invited to each school’s lecture series
· Pupils attend Oxbridge Days and mock interview opportunities
· Sharing of best practice regarding Academic Tracking, Tutorials, Curriculum, Appraisal
· NQT and PGCE teacher placement opportunities at each school
· Joint STEM meetings and activities
· Group from Mark Rutherford School Autism Unit visit Bedford School’s Nature Reserve, Ickwell
· MFL exchange of books
· Art exchange of resources including Mark Rutherford Sixth Formers attending weekly life drawing classes
· Bedford School teachers providing support for Mark Rutherford School Gold CREST projects
· Mark Rutherford pupils invited to internal and external Bedford School productions in Quarry Theatre
· Virtual University Lecture invitations with some lectures taking place at Bedford School and others at Mark Rutherford. Topics have included brain function, muscular dystrophy, engineering, astro physics, psychology and business studies.