Aims of the project
- To build enthusiasm for Science amongst Y5 children by delivering sessions which are fun and exciting.
- To encourage questioning and enquiry by allowing children an opportunity to ask questions and consider different ways of finding an answer, especially linked with using investigation skills.
- To raise our students confidence and communication skills by planning sessions and delivering them.
Background and goals
The Teach Together project as a whole commenced in September 2017 at Wimbledon High School whereby we reached out to a number of schools to invite them to collaborate with us. Our goal is to ensure our students here at Wimbledon High learn valuable new skills for their own personal development as well as the partnering schools benefiting from having our students teach them subjects in a fun and innovative way.
- Children have planned and carried out an investigation on size of shadows and distance from light source.
- Children have made and explained how a periscope works.
- Children have modelled the phases of the moon & distances between planets in the solar system.
- Mentors are learning how to communicate and explain ideas clearly
- Mentors enjoy the challenge and doing something that they find a bit intimidating.
50 students from St. Boniface.
Frequency and duration
The Teach Together project runs for a total of 20 weeks from September through to Easter. This opportunity will be on offer every school year for the forseeable future.