Links with Local School Sport Partnership (Brockington)
Leicester Grammar School’s links started in 1997 when the school was awarded the Sportsmark Gold award and was incorporated into the local SSP based at Lancaster Sports College as one of only eight independent schools in the country co-opted as SSP members.
On moving to Great Glen in 2008, we joined the Learning South Leicestershire partnership (Blaby and Harborough). We currently host county Hockey, Netball, Table Tennis and Rugby tournaments and in July 2012 the school hosted the Leicestershire and Rutland School Games. Our fixture list has always included a mix of fixtures against local state and independent schools across all sports.
We enter and support county tournaments and leagues as they compliment our existing fixture list in the major school sporting activities and provide additional competitive opportunities to pupils who are not always members of our ‘A’ team squads.
- Improving the PE experience for every young person
- Using PE and sport to inspire learning and achievement
- Enabling every young person to enjoy competition and providing pathways for the most talented
- Improving the health of young people in South Leicestershire through targeted participation in physical activity
- Developing the skills of school staff, coaches and volunteers through high quality training and professional development
- Connecting school and community sport
- Supporting the development of young leaders and volunteers.
Our sporting links with local junior schools extend back over 25 years. Since 1998 the school has hosted junior level sporting tournaments in Netball, Hockey, Rugby and Cricket, inviting local state junior schools to bring teams to the school and participate alongside local independent junior and prep schools. The move to our new site has seen these links rapidly expand.
The school's outstanding sporting facilities (outlined below) are regularly used by the SSP and we currently host county Hockey, Netball, Table Tennis and Rugby tournaments. In July 2012 the school hosted the Leicestershire and Rutland School Games, bringing over 1000 young people to compete in a variety of sports, using our facilities. Academic and support staff have assisted in developing the partnership and are fully supportive of the aims of the programme; to enrich the sporting experience of all pupils.
- 75 acres of Playing Fields and Games Pitches
- 2 Cricket Fields and 10 outdoor cricket nets including artificial surfaces
- 2 all weather floodlit artificial pitches – one water based pitch dedicated to Hockey and one sand-based pitch which converts to Tennis in the summer
- 8 Tennis/6 Netball floodlit all-weather courts
- 6 court Sports Hall
- 6 lane 25m Swimming Pool
- Fitness Suite incorporating the Technogym Wellness System
- Gym/Dance Studio
- Sports Pavilion housing 10 separate changing rooms, pavilion lounge, balcony and hospitality facilities.
Both male and female pupils from all age ranges (U11-U18) compete in the SSP events. We enter and support county tournaments and leagues as they compliment our existing fixture list in the major school sporting activities and provide additional competitive opportunities to pupils who are not always members of our ‘A’ team squads.
A full calendar of sporting events is in place for the academic year. This will be a combination of leagues and inter-school fixtures in a wide variety of sports including Table Tennis, Indoor Cricket, Badminton, Trampolining and Swimming with the best school teams qualifying to take part at the county level School Games Festival. The school enter teams into these sports to provide both competitive opportunities and to widen the sporting experience for all of our pupils.